Support the First NYC High School Teachers to Refuse to Give Test
On Thursday, May 1, 2014, we, the teachers and school staff, at the International High School at Prospect Heights are refusing to give the NYC English Language Arts Performance Assessment Exam. We are standing in solidarity with the more than 50% of our parents who have opted their students out of taking the test.
Please support the teachers and staff members who have joined together to abstain from administering a test we believe is harmful to English Language Learners(ELLS). We are not willing to sacrifice the trust of our students, their feelings of self worth, and our professional duty to do what is best for them. In good conscience, as educators dedicated to the learning of our students and the welfare of our school communities, we are not administering this test. We ask that Chancellor Carmen Fariña remove the New York ELA Performance Exam in favor of an assessment created by educators who best know the individual needs of their students and classrooms.
HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT THIS MOVEMENT?
- Sign the solidarity statement
- Read the teachers’ statement
- Watch the full video of the press conference here
- Email a photo with a physical sign or message of support to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have your organization sign as an endorser
- Tweet, post and share about it using #standupoptout
- Change your profile pic on FB to our logo below!